14-year-old Found Dead After Being Electrocuted By Cell-phone In Bathtub

0
4968

14-year-old Madison Coe from Texas was used to soaking in the bathtub with her phone. She was in the tub on Saturday and her father knocked on the bathroom door to get out, only 20 minutes later and the teen never emerged.

No Response

Logan Coe, Madison’s father called out to her again and got no response. He opened the door and found his daughter unresponsive in the water. The phone, which was a Samsung Edge Plus was plugged into a wall outlet and Madison’s mother, Angela O’Guinn-Downs said that the phone had fallen into the tub. They found a burn mark on her hand.

Coe, who was also an EMT, tried to revive her, and when the ambulance arrived so did the medical professionals. However, she was pronounced dead at the hospital. The medical examiner has yet to confirm cause of death, but authorities say that “initial evidence show signs consistent with electrocution.”

The police confirmed that they found a phone, charging cord and extension cord by the tub. There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” Madison’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told the press. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Felisha Owens, Madison’s stepmother said that the girl was only doing what she always did, what the she too did, sitting in the bathtub “playing our games.”

“I did it, she did it.” Said Owens.

“The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don’t belong in the bathroom,” she told press. Electricity and water do not mix. All it takes is a drop.” Finally realizing the dangers of electronics and bathrooms.

New Mexico

Madison had just graduated eighth grade and was spending the summer with her father in New Mexico before she started her freshman year in high school.

“It is with heavy hearts that Friendship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe,” officials from the school district said in a statement to the press. “We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together.”

Madison’s grandmother, O’Guinn, said the teen was her “shining star” and “has a special place” in her heart. She was smart and a good student, O’Guinn said.

“She was such a bright, vibrant, very intelligent, loving, caring young lady,” Madison’s mother told the press. “She had such a huge heart. Always willing to help others.”

“Please, please let her voice be heard and protect and educate your children on the fatal dangers of electrocution,” the social media post states, according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.