It’s one of the most perplexing missing persons cases of our time. Chef Claudia Lawrence has not been seen since vanishing in March 2009. Police believe she was murdered, but they have never found a crime scene and no one has been arrested in connection with her death.
Now, as a £1m case review draws to a close, Ms Lawrence’s father Peter has spoken of his disappointment that police are winding down the investigation without finding answers to what happened to his beloved daughter.
Ms Lawrence, 35, was reported missing when she did not arrive for work at the University of York. She had been seen the previous day, on March 18. A police spokesperson said that the reinvestigation was now nearly finished. Officers are now pinning their hopes on one line of inquiry relating to DNA profiling. The results are not due back for several weeks.
However, unless they throw up a breakthrough, then the probe will scale down. Police say they will never close the investigation unless the day comes when they get answers. However, they will only respond
They added that unless one outstanding line of inquiry relating to DNA profiling provided a breakthrough, the £1 million review ‘will start to scale down next month’.
Mr Lawrence and Miss Lawrence’s mother Joan were given the news by detectives who said they have not given up hope that the case can be solved