Denver Veteran Beaten To Death After Saving Two Teenagers From Bloody Attack


A 62-year-old veteran beaten to death after saving two teenagers from a bloody attack, and now he’s being hailed as a hero.

The Incident

James Farmer Jr. was sleeping in his car in downtown Denver on June 16 when he woke up to a man assaulting a pair of teens. He intervened to protect them. Police say the suspect, 28-year-old DeJuan Stamps, then left the teenagers and beat Farmer to death.

Farmer tended to find work and send money to his grandchildren and family in Seattle. He intended to move back in September to purchase a home where he can stay with his fiancée.

He was remembered as a hardworking and kind. The victim left a fiancée, five granddaughters and a son.

“He took an oath when he joined the United States Army and promised never to leave a man behind … He heard someone in need and risked his life to save (the) lives of those teenagers.” they told CNN affiliate KDVR.

Farmer died near the St. Francis Center, a sanctuary that offers employment and housing services to help homeless adults in Denver. He had a good relationship with the staff there.

“People who know what’s right, do what’s right. And he was one of those people who did it. He stepped up to help. And unfortunately, it cost him his life.” a shelter official told KDVR.

“Random Attack”

According to the Denver Police Department, Stamps’ attacking the teens was an “apparent random attack.” One of the victims, 18-year-old Aidan Brown, was left flicked out and received staples in his head.

“He surely would’ve died had (Farmer) not intervened.” Wes Brown, Aidan’s father, told CNN affiliate KMGH.

Both teenagers and Stamps were sent to Denver Health Medical Center. Farmer died at the scene.

The Denver police reported Stamps was standing over Farmer and “continually striking the victim in the chest with force.”

Stamps attacked the officer and injured one before he was subdued. He is facing several charges, including one count of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree assault.